A medical transcriptionist listens to voice recordings made either by medical staff or doctors and hence converts it to written documentation or medical records. Knowing medical terminology and medical abbreviations is necessary for a transcriptionist in order to avoid incorrectly translating information.
Key requirements one must hold in order to become a medical transcriptionist
• Education – One must complete a transcription program at a college, trade school or vocational school. With transcription program certification comes at the first year before one specializes in the field of his or her choice
• Skills – A medical transcriptionist is required to have great attention to detail that will enable him or her to notice possible errors or inconsistencies.He or she also needs to possess some knowledge about laws relating to patient confidentiality.
Other important skills required are:
• Computer knowledge
• Good writing skills
Tools a medical transcriptionist uses
• Speech recognition software is used to transcribe information and to ensure accuracy by editing the document
• Familiarity with:
o dictation machines
o fax machines
o postal machines
o printers and notebook computers
Medical transcription salary
The key factor considered for pay is production. The more productive a transcriber is the more the earnings. The beginning medical transcription salary that one earns is around $22,000 a year. Experience is important and pay will increase as the medical transcriptionist become faster and more efficient.With approximately fifteen years of experience one can earn $39,000 but the top wage is often met when someone has been working for around twenty years when he or she can earn around $46,000.
Medical transcriptionists can either work in a doctor’s office or from home. The transcriptionist that works in the doctor’s office or hospital can expect to be provided a computer, a desk, headset and a stenographer machine. Most medical transcriptionists work a normal full time schedule of forty hours per week but those working at home can work more or less depending on their schedule and workload.
Advantages of the medical transcription job:
• It enables one to work in various healthcare settings available
• .It is flexible that is one can work from home and at his or her own time.
• It is one of the reasons patients get high-quality care
• One earns a certificate or degree which is sufficient for entry-level positions.
A medical transcription job is of great importance and without it patient care would be hampered and delayed. When considering a job as a transcriptionist you should consider your work environment including workload, hours, office environment and compensation package. With additional education a medical transcriptionist can become a medical coder, medical records and health information administrators or technicians.